Monday, January 17, 2011

It Begins

For the past few years, I've had a sometimes fleeting obsession with these women who I can only describe as my heroes. They are bad-ass, beautiful, and powerful.

Photo courtesy of acderby.com. Please don't hate me for using it :-)

They've also got bigger balls than most of the guys you will ever meet.

I've told myself a few times that it would be fun. And that it's probably something I would love from day one, and should really look into. But I never did. I wasn't sure I had time, especially now that I'm back in school and working in a role that requires me to actually work while at my place of employment. For one reason or another, it remained a pipe dream, or a hypothetical, "Yeah, that would be pretty awesome."

But, over the last couple of months, I've been reminded of my infatuation on several occasions. First, I met one of their stats guys at a party. I'm sure I've met him before, in the dozens of times we've gathered at my friend Sara's house. But I didn't know until this moment, that he was involved with them. We talked about the sport a little, and he said I should totally join up. I was pretty motivated in my four-beers bravado, and said I probably would. I didn't. But it was still in the back of my mind.
Earlier this month, through a serendipitous Facebook add, I saw that a girl I knew a few years ago was part of the Assassination City league. Not only was she a skater, she was on the all-star travel team. It was then that I saw how to contact recruiting, and really take steps to get involved.
I started seriously considering it, and got overwhelming support from the few people to whom I mentioned my crazy idea. Coincidentally, my friend at work knows one of the girls in the league. The same girl who had a write-up in D Magazine in October.
It seemed that there were too many things just kind of falling into place to motivate me and stoke my excitement.
So I emailed the recruiter. I went to a practice. And fell in love. At least, I hope I did.
Because I've ordered my skates and gear, and will hopefully be attending practices as "Fresh Meat" within a week or two. I even got along pretty well with the other girl who was there to "check it out." She also lives in Plano and we've already discussed carpooling to save on gas. It seems that all signs point to "do the damn thing."
I sincerely hope this is everything I want it to be: a way to stay active, to re-tap my inner bad ass, to build friendships with like-minded women, and give back to myself a hobby (obsession?) that is truly mine. It's been awhile since I've made an investment like that in myself.

Wish me luck. I'll keep you posted.

1 comment:

  1. I am so proud of you! That is amazing. You will rock at this. I know it. I can't wait to see pics of you in your bad ass gear. Love you lay-dee!

    ReplyDelete